These are contributions I have made to WiMLDS over the past 5 years.
New York Chapter of WiMLDS
- NYC chapter organizer since spring 2015 to present
- organized dozens of meetup events and workshops over the course of 5 years: past NYC WiMLDS events
- Mentored new organizers in 2018 and 2019: Noemi Derzsy and Prithvi Gandhi
- Advisor to NYC WiMLDS from January 2015 to spring 2015, prior to joining as an organizer
- Organized 2018 WiMLDS/WiDS/SAP conference
Scikit-learn Open Source Sprints
- organized 5 scikit-learn sprints
- Wrote Sprint Impact Reports (goal: communicate our events, accomplishments and impact to community)
- Built relationship with 2 sponsors (O’Reilly and MLConf) over the course of 4 years which acccounted for 99% of funding for WiMLDS
- Created and distributed Global Newsletter to increase resources and communication WiMLDS chapters globally in 2019
- Was a guest on DataFramed podcast
- recorded in November 2018
- resulted in increasing our chapters 50%, from 39 to 63 WiMLDS Q1 report in less than 2 months
- Initiated the summary and reporting of WiMLDS chapter data to communicate our reach publicly:
- Worked with local chapters to bring meetup chapters under WiMLDS ownership and tag the meetup groups so live statistics could easily be retrievable: Meetup WiMLDS MAP
- Presented at O’Reilly AI NYC 2019 Better Together Diversity Luncheon
- Implemented consistent “Welome Messages” for all meetup chapters so links to social media forums were directly accessible to increase followers on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and more.
Global Chapters Support
- Recruited two new members to join global team from Europe and Kenya to increase global representation
- Created a “zap” on Zapier: a system to manage new organizers (now over 150) to the meetup group and process their applications so they can be added to the wimlds website. This improved efficency, saved time and ensure more organizers were added to our website.
- Recruited and guided a volunteer to create and design our website. This project was initiated and overseen by me in 2016.
- Created project to create WiMLDS Overview Slides so organizers worldwide would be able to share history and statistics about WiMLDS
- Created 5 Years (birthday) video
- Created Conferences List for community
- Supported global chapters by responding to inquiries, processing payments, etc.